This coming Monday, July 25th, is the celebration of the annexation of Nicoya to Costa Rica, and it is a holiday of mandatory payment, according to the Labor Code.
The following are the general rules for the payment of this type of holiday:
- The employee has the right to rest on a holiday, so he/she cannot be forced to work, except for reasons of urgency or if the work requires continuity of work.
- If the employee does not work on this day, he/she must also be paid their ordinary salary.
- If the employee works on this day, he/she must be paid double the salary.
- If the employee works overtime on a holiday, the extra hours must be paid triple the ordinary salary, without exceeding a total workday of 12 hours.
- If the holiday coincides with the worker’s day of rest, only the ordinary day of rest is paid.
- This holiday has not been moved as done in previous years, since it is celebrated on a Monday.
- The employer and the employee may negotiate the holiday and enjoy it on a later date with pay.
TACTIC Estudio Legal